Archive for April, 2010
I’m lucky to have small snippets of the soon-to-be-released “chapter two” of Heather Ross’s Far Far Away line of fabrics. They are printed on a Japanese cotton/linen blend perfect for clothing, zakka treasure, and whatever lovely things you can think of. These colors are exciting and rich paired with Heather’s usual fantastic charm and etherial designs. Those moons! The roses! The Owl and the pussycat is one of our favorite things to recite around here, Suzannah having long been fascinated with a ‘pea green boat’ has had Edward Lear’s poem memorized since she was 3. Heather, you’ve outdone yourself. Again!
Here comes the sun little darling
Here comes the sun and I say
Here she is, quilted and bound, ready to go on display at work. I’m really happy with how it’s turned out. I will post final measurements tomorrow as I have not yet washed and crinkled it. Crinkle. It’s a technical term. I used straight line quilting, about one inch apart. I just wasn’t feeling stippling or loops were going to be the right match for this one. Binding is Kaffe Fassett’s shot cotton in smoky. It’s a really good blue. Here’s the back -
So…now that you’ve seen the completed quilt…won’t you join in and quilt along? Remember…there are goodies to be won…. a full set of all of Denyse Schmidt’s quilt patterns go to one lucky quilt along quilter. Join in the fun!
Thanks to Katy for the shout out about this new and exciting site for sewing peeps!
I needed a small break from all of the Hope Valley blocks I’ve been making. However, finding time to sew and quilt is escaping me more and more. I haven’t talked about it here, but I spend most days working here. I know! How lucky am I!? Gone is my life of large blocks of time for fabric play, but also less time with these two monkeys -
So, when I do find myself with a bit of time ( at 10 o’clock p.m. or so…) I make these two soft things for their red, pink and aqua room. Lately, pillows and pillowcases. Pictured above are pillows that will eventually match a quilt that will be made thanks to my girls over at the snip.sew.send quilting bee. I’ve been hoarding saving up all sorts of girly fabrics such as the ones pictured above, namely some great Japanese fabrics like the kerchief girl, Kei polka dots and the one on the right, a sweet print from Megumi Sakakibara. These fabrics are mixed in with a few Nicey Jane prints from Heather Bailey and some Kona cotton solids.
Also adorning the girls’ room and adding to the overall scheme of things is this little gem -
Isn’t it a beauty? I was the lucky recipient of this curvalicious mini quilt from Sam who got my name for the fabulous DQS8 flickr swap. She had taken inspiration from Jean Wells and learned curved piecing. It translates beautifully here and I am so excited to add it to the girls’ room. Thank you Sam! We love it!
And lastly, I found this sheet of wrapping paper at our local bookshop. I squealed quietly to myself while I snapped it up and brought it home. I found a spare Ikea frame hanging around and in no time I had yet one more bit of red, pink and aqua…and it even looks like Japanese fabric.
And if that weren’t enough, I was inspired by the ever-creative and prolific Ashley from Film in the Fridge and her Pretty Quick Pillowcase Tutorial. I wanted to make pillowcases for the girls out of some Heather Ross cottons because they are sooo incredibly soft. With this tutorial, I had these made from cutting to on their bed in about an hour.
Getting on with the show here…progress has been made (this truly is a quilt along) and this is what these rectangular blocks look like with their borders in sand, and with sashing in zucchini, both Kona cottons.
How to finish the blocks with borders – finished here in Kona cotton in Sand: I wanted an irregular placement of each block within the sashing, meaning that each rectangle would not be as the next one. Each rectangle is slightly off-center and not exactly straight. We embrace that right?! What this means in terms of adding strips to the rectangles is adding slightly more than what you need. I added 5″ wide strips to the rectangles and then trimmed each block to measure 21.5″ x 12.5″. The extra width ensured me that I could trim each one so that (as pictured above as an example) I could put each rectangle with a slight bit of wonk and still be able to trim to the measurement I wanted.
Hey! It’s looking like a quilt top….the sashing in Kona zucchini measures 5.5 inches wide. Sashing is optional of course and I apologize for not including it in my original instructions. I found myself liking the framing that sashing gives and decided to add this to the quilt. I think the quilt can look great either way. I decided that 9 blocks was enough for me, and this will make a nice throw – sized quilt. Final measurements to come!